Check Out Our Shop
Page 1904 of 1906 FirstFirst ... 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 LastLast
Results 47,576 to 47,600 of 47635
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    maybe. I have readers already but don't need them/use them unless trying to decipher Ikea furniture instructions, but that day is getting closer and closer.

I have distance glasses but don't generally need them/use them except in the car at night.

Going to the optometrist today, we'll see what the new verdict is.
    Sounds like you may be a few years out, then... lucky bastid.

maybe. I have readers already but don't need them/use them unless trying to decipher Ikea furniture instructions, but that day is getting closer and closer.

I have distance glasses but don't generally need them/use them except in the car at night.

Going to the optometrist today, we'll see what the new verdict is.
    The nice part is both those glasses are on your face all wrapped into one. The bad part is you’ll then put them on when you wake up and take them off at bedtime. You’re just around the corner it sounds like. Welcome to the club.

I was in the club from age 11 until age 35. I know what it's like. I don't wanna join again!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I was in the club from age 11 until age 35. I know what it's like. I don't wanna join again!
    You don't get a choice in this matter...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You don't get a choice in this matter...
    Attachment 500501
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Progressive lenses are good for some things but not others. They suck for watching TV in a recliner. They're great for computer glass where you have mid range on top, reading on the bottom. And I probably need a pair with distance on top, mid range on the bottom for driving. Because I can't read the dashboard anymore with my distance glasses. So that's three pairs right there. And my prescription is changing every fucking year. FML.

I remember overhearing someone saying they have contacts where one lens is for reading and the other is for distance viewing. I can imagine this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but an interesting solution to the problem.

My eyes are already vastly different. I wouldn't wish it on an enemy. So no thanks on purposely doing that. Plus, I tried contacts and they really don't work for me. My doctor made me promise to never try them ever again. The first and only time was pretty bad.

Just got back from the optometrist. Eyes have barely changed since last time, so I am good to go. Will still use glasses at night and when looking at microscopic instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I remember overhearing someone saying they have contacts where one lens is for reading and the other is for distance viewing. I can imagine this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but an interesting solution to the problem.
    Yes, that is a thing. Oddly, my eyes naturally do this, which allows me to get by better than I otherwise would. One is very good for distance, the other eye not so much. But the other eye is good for reading, the distance eye not so much. The brain manages to synthesize the info such that it knows which eye to rely on for what, and I had no idea about this until the optometrist told me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I went through that BS a few years ago. Just give me contacts and I'll happily use readers for every thing up close.

My optometrist powered me up slightly this year, and I gave in and bought a pair of readers. My wife thinks it’s funny how annoyed I am by that. I’ve had glasses since age 8 and contacts since 18, so it’s not as though my once awesome vision is slipping, but it’s annoying nonetheless.

I don’t use them all that frequently, but it’s nice to have them on occasion, especially when working on something with my hands. They’re only 0.75 so not very strong. Getting my one toric lens to sit right usually gets me the focus I need to see my phone clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    My optometrist powered me up slightly this year, and I gave in and bought a pair of readers. My wife thinks it’s funny how annoyed I am by that. I’ve had glasses since age 8 and contacts since 18, so it’s not as though my once awesome vision is slipping, but it’s annoying nonetheless.
    As an optometrist told me about 15 years ago when I complained about having trouble reading newpaper-size print: "Don't worry - that'll get worse."

As an optometrist told me about 15 years ago when I complained about having trouble reading newpaper-size print: "Don't worry - that'll get worse."

And then you start to buy readers by the dozen and squirrel them all over the place so you are never without.

I went in for an eye check up last year (at 49) and the optho asked me if I needed readers yet and I said no. He pretended to write on his chart while he said "patient is in denial about his age."

I was on an interview panel today and realized that I could barely read the sheet without having to squint or hold it away from me, so maybe it's time to give in. In researching what power I need, I looked at the amazon history to see what my wife uses. Apparently, she uses 16 different pairs in power ranging from 1.5 to 3.5 and I bet she doesn't even know when she grabs a pair.

I had awesome vision until I didn't. I hate glasses but the progressives are the only way I can function anymore. For the third (annoying) round I went with Oakleys and got the insurance. Good thing too, I've already replaced them once and may need to do it again soon. I keep ending up with scratches in the tint coating. There's a blurry line all the time and when they darken it's a lighter blurry line. Fkn annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I went in for an eye check up last year (at 49) and the optho asked me if I needed readers yet and I said no. He pretended to write on his chart while he said "patient is in denial about his age."

I was on an interview panel today and realized that I could barely read the sheet without having to squint or hold it away from me, so maybe it's time to give in. In researching what power I need, I looked at the amazon history to see what my wife uses. Apparently, she uses 16 different pairs in power ranging from 1.5 to 3.5 and I bet she doesn't even know when she grabs a pair.
    3.5? DAMN!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

My local grocery no longer carrying actual Fontina cheese. FTR, Wisconsin "fontina" is a poor, poor substitute for the real thing.

I know, talk about 1st World problems, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    3.5? DAMN!
    You might as well be wearing jewelers loupes.

Moving things by water is by far and away the most efficient way to move stuff. American maritime shipping policy is rotten. America needs a Jimmy Carter 2.0 to step in and deregulate this absurd situation.

We hurt our shipbuilding industry with tariffs
    We hurt our shipping industry because of the Jones Act
    We hurt our ports because of the Dredge Act
    We hurt our port efficiency with non-automation clauses in labor contracts
    We hurt our Navy because we can't buy material from our allies
    And then we blame the weak maritime sector on China

Name:  Shipping.png
Views: 183
Size:  305.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Moving things by water is by far and away the most efficient way to move stuff. American maritime shipping policy is rotten. America needs a Jimmy Carter 2.0 to step in and deregulate this absurd situation.

We hurt our shipbuilding industry with tariffs
    We hurt our shipping industry because of the Jones Act
    We hurt our ports because of the Dredge Act
    We hurt our port efficiency with non-automation clauses in labor contracts
    We hurt our Navy because we can't buy material from our allies
    And then we blame the weak maritime sector on China

Name:  Shipping.png
Views: 183
Size:  305.3 KB
    Ports are absolute clusterfucks of pollution and are at the forefront of pushing the legal envelope for deregulating environmental controls knowing they now have a sympathetic SCOTUS in place. If we are to build up, and support our ports (which we should), we should tie it to increased environmental oversight and regulation.

I think those things should be treated as separate issues. Or, better still incorporate more environmentally friendly tech into the update. Otherwise, widening the scope anytime we try to build is the reason for all the delays and cost increases. Plus, moving things by water is less polluting than moving things by truck. Other countries unload shipping containers onto barges and then upriver to their destination. There’s a reason the overwhelming majority of major cities in the world are on navigable waterways. In America we move a lot more stuff using trucks because port "touch fees" are so high:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/90776...0&app_id=58479

The Belgium company that's doing this in Europe and tried - but failed - to bring this technology to America:

https://www.zulu-associates.com/

My local grocery no longer carrying actual Fontina cheese. FTR, Wisconsin "fontina" is a poor, poor substitute for the real thing.

I know, talk about 1st World problems, right?
    The fact that you local grocery store carried anything other than white American, yellow American, and super mild cheddar should be cause for celebration.
    That being said the loss of fontina would crush me, had I access to it that is...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The fact that you local grocery store carried anything other than white American, yellow American, and super mild cheddar should be cause for celebration.
    That being said the loss of fontina would crush me, had I access to it that is...
    I'm not sure when it happened, but our local Kroger-type store actually put in a cheese "station" near the deli. Even has a cheesemonger there occasionally. I can still get Gorgonzola (both dolce and picante) as well as a bunch of other "real" cheese - but the loss of the Fontina is definitely a problem.

You know of any sorts of French or Swiss alpine cheese that might make a decent substitute? The thing with Fontina is not only is it delicious, but it melts like a dream... unlike the domestic "fontina" type thing.

Shit that annoys you

Not the same, but our TJs carries a fontina that gets me through the tough times