Check Out Our Shop
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    I want to know more about this hoji free strap swap.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Super ridge pro

Skied them stock inbounds today smashing icy and variable moguls on ravens with ATKs. Again these are really stiff, if you tighten the boa you can really limit the lower shell deformation and they ski fucking great. They are easily stiffer than the zgpt in all directions.

Enter the hoji free strap which you can easily switch by replacing the wire in the hoji lock. I found the velcro kind of dead(but secure) and enjoy being able to really tighten the cuff if I want too. Adding the scarpa booster gives the boot more rebound off top which I am also a fan of. Top it off with the hoji free spoiler and now I’ve got probably the best combination of fit, skiing and walking available for me.
    (Hoji free strap adds 20g, spoiler adds 20gs and booster adds 45g)

Attachment 492530
    F you Severin! I was expecting that you'd find these inadequate buckets. Also, sexy calves.

Sent fra min LE2123 via Tapatalk

Dynafit Ridge boots (and bindings)

I’m working on fit with these. Quite a lot of pressure on the top of forefoot. If I take the liner out I can feel the material under the floating tongue kind of bends down a lot in this region. Does anyone’s else’s have this? Seems like it might relax with use.

May be specific to the 26. Feels like the gold material is the wrong shape for the space in the black material.

Now that these have been out for a bit who has tried punching them, particularly for length? I tried size 26 without success, wanting to try 25s next year (which is what I ski in Zero Gs, with a big toe punch). Supposedly they are hard to punch for length, and are already a bit short for any given size like many new boots in this category, which is a stupid trend.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Now that these have been out for a bit who has tried punching them, particularly for length? I tried size 26 without success, wanting to try 25s next year (which is what I ski in Zero Gs, with a big toe punch). Supposedly they are hard to punch for length, and are already a bit short for any given size like many new boots in this category, which is a stupid trend.
    The interal length of the ridge is the same in a 26 as the 25 ZGPT. The stock liner is just ridiculously thin.

The ZGPT is also a part of the problem, being longer than the average boot in the same size. The ridge is shorter. That’s why they meet one mondo apart

If anyone is looking for a size 26 lmk via a PM. I picked up a pair from a mag, and skied them once. $650 shipped.

After skiing them once and trying various old liner combos at the house before and after, the boot isn't going to work for my narrow foot. Yes, the floating tongue works to a degree and the heel is held back via that buckle. But there still is a void that can't be filled from that floating tongue/shell manipulation, so it skis worse for me than my quattros. For those that are curious, the Vulcan and Hoji Free 130 had a narrower fit across the break of the ankle and lower leg when compared to these. So... if you have a medium volume fit, these should be winner.
    "Oh this isn't Russia Danny, is this Russia"

Dynafit Ridge boots (and bindings)

Following up after some time skiing on these. See my original post from 2/23/24 for initial impressions and fit details. I'd say I have about 8 days on them so far.

I had a decent amount of instep pressure with the stock liners. I never skied these with the stock liners. I skied these on a pretty long tour on day 1 with my old molded Intuition LV Pro Tours. After the tour I had some pressure at the 6th toe region on both feet. I went into a local boot fitter and molded a new pair of Intuition Pro Tour DD 9 mm liners. I also had my old custom footbeds flattened out. They had started to turn up at the sides, kind of like a boat hull, after a lot of time in them. These 2 changes definitely helped, but after a recent long-ish tour (like 10 miles and 5500 ft vert) I still had some mild 6th toe pressure on both boots. Brought them back to the boot fitter and he did a small punch at the 6th toes on both boots.

Now I'm stoked on these boots. I've done 2 tours since the punch and no isues. I like how they tour and ski. The Hoji lock gives a really solid downhill feel. And it's nice to be able to do quick transitions.

In summary they fit my high volume (high instep) and wider than average foot well with a small 6th toe punch and the Intuition Pro Tour liners, 9 mm (LV). I agree they run short and if you're in between sizes, size up.
    Last edited by whatsupdoc; 04-12-2024 at 01:50 PM.

I have one tour on these. So far so good. They definitely have a low volume spot in the middle of the toebox right where the floating tongue starts. For me it seems ok. I'm running a tour wrap (not the new DD version). Appears to ski quite well for how well it walks, but I got to ski dry smoke so hey...no complaints but didn't really push them either.

Dirt walked for 800 feet of steep North Cascades bushwhack and the soles are quite good. They also appear to fit Petzl Irvis Hybrids really well...this is not true of all boots...

For me, a 3-piece-boot is awesome. It's easy on/off, easy liner in/out (all great for multi-day trips), and a good walk mode. The Hoji lock just makes it even simpler.

I worry a bit about the lower upper cuff click-strap. I'm afraid in tour mode I might catch it on something and rip it off.

Also, there isn't a great spot to clip a leash. Missed opportunity there.

This year I've skied a ZGTP, Zero G Peak Carbon, and Radical Pro. So far, this is my favorite. Knock on wood, but this might be a goldilocks boot. I need to get it out on some heavier skis and in heavier snow.

Tried on a pair of Ridges this week. Pretty impressed. 28.5 felt like the right fit (that’s the size I take in damn near every brand) although with an unmolded stock liner the pressure on my instep was noticeable. I’d try them with a molded pair of thin liners before I’d buy them to make sure the instep area isn’t a problem.

The toebox had a very squared off feel (and look), borderline too roomy actually. Depending on the boot I occasionally blow out a shell for some 6th toe room but cannot imagine doing that for these.

Good heel retention, nice walk mode, laterally stiff cuff, progressive firmish fwd flex…I was impressed. However it’s unusual for me to encounter a boot with low volume in the instep AND so much toe box room.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Tried on a pair of Ridges this week. Pretty impressed. 28.5 felt like the right fit (that’s the size I take in damn near every brand) although with an unmolded stock liner the pressure on my instep was noticeable. I’d try them with a molded pair of thin liners before I’d buy them to make sure the instep area isn’t a problem.

The toebox had a very squared off feel (and look), borderline too roomy actually. Depending on the boot I occasionally blow out a shell for some 6th toe room but cannot imagine doing that for these.

Good heel retention, nice walk mode, laterally stiff cuff, progressive firmish fwd flex…I was impressed. However it’s unusual for me to encounter a boot with low volume in the instep AND so much toe box room.
    I dunno I shell fit these and my forefoot was basically touching either side at the metatarsal heads. They didn't seem crazy wide up there. I was told they would be difficult to punch but it sounds like others have had success?

The nominal width at the ball of foot area (and base of metatarsals) didn’t feel particularly wide; it was the width at the tips of your toes (phalanx I think?) that felt much more squared off (ie wide) than any boot I’ve ever tried on. Google 1970s Earth Shoe.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Another fit reference data point for the collective. I just got a very lightly used pair of ridge 28.5's and am playing with fit. FWIW I'm an almost perfect 10mm fit for a Lange RS LV 27.5 and have been touring in an essentially unmodified ultra xtd 130 27.5. I completely fill the xtd with an almost plug tight fit. In the ridge a 28 is the equivalent length. However, the midfoot of this boot, both laterally and vertically, is significantly smaller than my other boots. Playing with other liners right now but still not certain I'm going to be able to make these work. Might end up catch and releasing. We'll see. Hit me if you have any specific comparison fit Q's.

Other than fit I think this could be the mother of goldilocks boots. Like others have said, surprisingly firm, progressive flex and nice walk mode. I REALLY want to love them

If anyone's trying to sell a lightly used pair size 26/26.5 please PM me!
    Last edited by jasqaq; 06-17-2024 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Another fit reference data point for the collective. I just got a very lightly used pair of ridge 28.5's and am playing with fit. FWIW I'm an almost perfect 10mm fit for a Lange RS LV 27.5 and have been touring in an essentially unmodified ultra xtd 130 27.5. I completely fill the xtd with an almost plug tight fit. In the ridge a 28 is the equivalent length. However, the midfoot of this boot, both laterally and vertically, is significantly smaller than my other boots. Playing with other liners right now but still not certain I'm going to be able to make these work. Might end up catch and releasing. We'll see. Hit me if you have any specific comparison fit Q's.

Other than fit I think this could be the mother of goldilocks boots. Like others have said, surprisingly firm, progressive flex and nice walk mode. I REALLY want to love them
    Yeah I think I’m going to get a pair to work. I agree. Weight/walk/ski is fairly sensational. Shame in needed to buy new skis to remount to the short bsl

Can anybody provide a comparison between the Ridge Pro and the current Skorpius? From what I gather, the skorpius might have slightly less resistance while touring, and likely skis a bit worse than the Ridge. Planning on skiing one of these boots with both my 184 Ravens and my 178 Zero-G 95’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PinyonJuniper5 View Post
    Can anybody provide a comparison between the Ridge Pro and the current Skorpius? From what I gather, the skorpius might have slightly less resistance while touring, and likely skis a bit worse than the Ridge. Planning on skiing one of these boots with both my 184 Ravens and my 178 Zero-G 95’s.
    I think you're right on in your assessment. It's been a while since I skied the Skorpius and I only had the ridge on in the shop, but I think difference in skiing is larger than the difference in touring friction. I would pick the Ridge Pro every time.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I think you're right on in your assessment. It's been a while since I skied the Skorpius and I only had the ridge on in the shop, but I think difference in skiing is larger than the difference in touring friction. I would pick the Ridge Pro every time.
    How about fit? How different are they in width and volume?

Quote Originally Posted by wantriot View Post
    How about fit? How different are they in width and volume?
    I have only tried the Skorpius CR1 not the CR2. Supposedly they raised the instep in the CR2, but I haven't had it on my foot.

A comment on skimo.co (by skimo.co) says they fit differently, but for my foot, I thought they were more similar than different. The midfoot is tight. The instep is a little low, but not outrageously so. The Ridge has considerably more squared off toe box but I don't know how that really impacts fit. The Ridge is *maybe* slightly wider across the forefoot. They felt similar in length. I'd have to try them on back to back for heel hold comparisons.

Fitters or people with different feet would have better impressions across a wider sample size. For my feet, the problems areas were very similar in both boots: width across forefoot (met heads) and width/volume in midfoot (like metatarsal base/styloid process). I would wear a 27 in both, and I'm a 26 alpine boot and a 26 in most other touring boots. I think it's likely the carbon-infused plastic will punch similarly.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

If anyone is trying to move a size 28 I’m looking!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So the Ridge won’t work with multinorm bindings. Wonder if dynafit will fix that next year. I want my touring boot able to work as one boot two skis travel.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    So the Ridge won’t work with multinorm bindings. Wonder if dynafit will fix that next year. I want my touring boot able to work as one boot two skis travel.
    I doubt it. The Ridge is designed to be a highly efficient touring specific boot, hence the short sole that is only tech binding compatible. Doesn't make a ton of sense to make a boot like that less touring efficient and compatible with multinorm boots, pretty small market of people that would use it in non tech bindings I think.

Yeah, you are right sure. For me I find a one boot two ski travel best. And I would rather my touring boots worked for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk