Check Out Our Shop
Page 288 of 1115 FirstFirst ... 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 ... LastLast
Results 7,176 to 7,200 of 27860
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yup, that's my thinking behind the lack of inventory, too. Lots of Boomers who are stuck underwater from HELOCs ten years ago, lots of reverse mortgages, and then a lot of others who won't move, which happens after a certain age. Slow decline. Twenty year event, plus. First boomer turned 65 on 01/01/11, last will pass 65 on 01/01/31. 73 million, 10,000 a day. Once the biggest spending generation, no longer. We're in it right now, a slow motion grind. Property tax issues are going to make things worse.
    Where do people with underwater homes live right now?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0251.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	588.1 KB 
ID:	251442

I was just reading an article today that predicted a fairly strong recession by the 2nd quarter of 2019. Consequently they felt the FED will lower rates lower than ever before and do QE to the moon to try and kick the can down the road a few more years.
    That would be great for my business and would support RE values.
    We will see.[/QUOTE]

Tuesday morning on CNBC I heard a respected analyst predict the bull market would last another five years. Point being that these talking heads have no idea when the next recission occurs. Back during the housing crisis Mark Zandi who is Moody's chief of Economic analysis as early as 2006 claimed the housing crisis was near the bottom. He is trotted out on tv frequently, testifies to congress and get plenty of face time. I believe he claimed the bottom 17 different times. In a 2010 hearing he said he (Moody's) did not spot the problems with junk mortgages. I am no genius but no down payment & NINJA loans had my attention.

BTW what we are seeing in housing is some markets declining in part due to the limit on local property tax deductions. However other areas are increasing such as Florida with no no state income tax.

There's plenty in Ct.. And I'm talking about second mortgages taken before the crash, sort of the same argument Ice is making about reverse mortgages, but, reversed.

Some people run around saying that the sky is falling all the time, then when it does they say "I told you so". Other people know that the sky will fall someday, but still make hay while the sun shines while preparing for that rainy day.

Why wait?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    sweet soon I'll be able to buy some land and start my way to baronhood
    isnt dirt in Alaska already pretty inexpensive?
    Askin for a friend.

Rural America

I wonder if you could rent out a house that you have a reverse mortgage on? Get the mortgage money and the rent money and go live somewhere cheaper. Sorry Lindahl but you got me thinking. And I have an expensive house for sale that nothing's happening on.

I don't do reverse mortgages, as in principle I disagree with them, but I am certain they must be owner occupied.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Reverse mortgages can be a great deal if you live forever like I intend to.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I don't do reverse mortgages, as in principle I disagree with them, but I am certain they must be owner occupied.
    Yeah, I always assumed that they were just the bank's way of placing a bet on the owner kicking the bucket sooner than later, and as a homeowner, I guess that's a bet I wouldn't want to make until I'm pretty old. My wife's grandparents did one though and it seemed to really help when they moved into assisted living and end of life care but I don't know the details.

Atlantis?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Yeah, I always assumed that they were just the bank's way of placing a bet on the owner kicking the bucket sooner than later
    IIRC, there are some ridiculous government guarantees in place that basically make it impossible for a bank to lose money on a reverse mortgage. 'Merica.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Rural America
    Not really. An awful lot of rural America never bubbled. But, if they HELOCed with a thity year in 06, they're effectively underwater, but have a really nice tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Atlantis?
    I bet that is the name of a master planned community in some sprawling hell hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

IN Florida.

Not really. An awful lot of rural America never bubbled. But, if they HELOCed with a thity year in 06, they're effectively underwater, but have a really nice tractor.
    Most of middle America never bubbled. I'm in a nice suburb of a large Midwestern city. Bought in 2006, value declined 10% during the crash and is up 10% today.

Yeah. Denver didn't bubble, either, but it is now. There's a habit now to talk about the RE market as though it's a national market, but 08 was the first time since the Depression that we saw such a widespread bubble and crash. Before that we experienced local booms and busts (hello, California, and the northeast has a bad one in the early 90s).

Grandma has been staying in my condo while watching the baby while wife and I are at work, planned to sell condo when baby starts daycare ~January. But just set up a meeting with redfin to list sooner...hopefully didn't miss the peak by too much. This will be my first not fsbo.

volatility has also increased exponentially; i think awareness (internet, hgtv) plays a huge part in that. i also think FUD/FOMO is at an all time high due to the same.

at the simplest level, i think people assume they’ll sell at or above the same level, and paying off the absolute value in $ as part of general financial planning over a timeline is not something considered with scrutiny, from either side of the transaction.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have been waiting for this to have a huge negative impact in my hood. Sales are down, but have way further to go in my opinion.

Existing home sales have declined even more rapidly in the West than in the Northeast. But that seems to be more about high prices than the loss of the tax deduction. The West has by far the most expensive houses in the country, but California ranks 21st in per-capita property taxes, and the other populous Western states rank even lower. 1 Lots of affluent Californians will still be hit hard by the reduction in the state and local tax deduction, but it will be mostly because of no longer being able to deduct all of their state income taxes, so the impact on the housing market will be less direct.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Unless someone gets in there and starts to reverse course
    all this making america great again shit is going to really start having a negative impact by spring
    but since a small group of older white male americans are feeling good about themselves it's going to be pretty hard to change things

I’m feeling pretty good about this tax situation. I should come out in good shape since I stopped itemized deducts a couple years ago due to small mortgage

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums